update restoration 18 foot Hydrodyne

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by Pat Colvin, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Pat Colvin

Pat Colvin Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    it is a Hydrodyne but not sure what year just boug
    being new this year to the Hydrodyne world i bought a project boat, the floor is almost out, just started on the transom fully rotted out due to water getting in where there was two large cracks and the owners did not care, i am very lucky i did not put the boat in the lake and hit the throttle as i am sure the outboard would have lonched itself only. i removed the rub rail as the plan was to remove the cap to finish the transom and floor but surprising to me the cap and hull are one piece,whom ever did this has me frustrated, multipul holes where previous rub rails were, the one i am removing has standard nuts and bolts not stainless, well i am moving on to make this right and have 6 months to get it water ready and show condition pics of where i am

2. Pat Colvin

Pat Colvin Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    these are the current pcitures of the restoration, the hull and cap all one piece is this an after thought

Attached Files:

3. ski38off

ski38off Photo of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1976 18', 200 hp, and 1977 18' 150 hp twin rig
    Ski Team:
    Lake Shelby Skiers
    DSC06176.JPG hull and deck are two pieces. They are screwed together and bonded with a strip of fiberglass along the inside. I found the best way to separate was to use one of those dual-blade counter rotating 4.5" saws and go around the outside and cut the screws. Go from the bottom and cut upwards. There is a strip of plywood between the hull and deck. You cut into this plywood, not the fiberglass. It is a mess but worked good for me. Then I went inside with a sonic crafter using a wood blade and cut the fiberglass bonding tape. Again, a messy job but with the correct tools, the deck and hull will split nicely.

4. Pat Colvin

Pat Colvin Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    thank you i will look deeper