Can anyone answer these questions

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by tjmons, Sep 6, 2011.

1. tjmons

tjmons

Boat Model and Year:
    1968 hydrodyner tournament ski
    How many hydrodynes were built in each year in the 60's ? How rare are the 60's tournament skiers ? What information can you get from the serial number

2. DanielC

DanielC Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1987 Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    PDX Water Spectacula
    I maybe can give a partial answer to the last question. I believe in the 1960's serial (or Hull Identification numbers) numbers were random, whatever the boat builder wanted to put there.
    I do not know when it happened, but sometime in the 1970's, I think the USCG came up with a standard format for boat serial numbers. Three letters, five digits, or letters, and then a letter, and three numbers.
    the first three letters identify the boat manufacturer. I have a 1987 Hydrodyne hull, and my ski team has a 1992 Hydrodyne boat, both boats the serial number starts with "THI".
    My 1987 Hydrodyne serial number ends with "87" It is a 1987 boat.
    The ski team's Hydrodyne serial number ends with 92. It is a 1992 boat.
    The fourth letter from the end indicates the month of build. A=January, L=December. You figure out the ones in the middle. The third number in from the end is the year of build.
    The fourth, and third digits on my Hydrodyne are "L6" It was built in December of 1986, even though it is a 1987 model year boat.
    The fourth, and third digits on my ski team's Hydrodyne are "B2" It was built in February of 1992, and is a 1992 model year boat.

The five digits in the middle of the serial (or HIN) could be whatever the boat builder wanted to do. The 1987 Hydrodyne has DO119 for the five center digits. The 1992 Hydrodyne has DO203 for its five digits.
    I believe the "DO" stands for "dual outboard" and the three digit number that is left is the actual build number of the boat. The 1987 Hydrodyne was built in December of 1986, and was the 119th dual outboard boat built by Hydrodyne boat company. The 1992 Hydrodyne was built in February of 1992, and was the 203rd dual outboard boat built by Hydrodyne boat company.

More information can be found here.
    http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

3. inharmonydean

inharmonydean Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1976 18' Tournament Skier
    Ski Team:
    Twin Lakes Aquanuts
    I asked Tom Miller (Ab Crosby JR'S brother-in-law) how many 18 footers were built. He told me that in between 1966 and 1978 they made about 3000 of them. According to my own HIN my boat was number 2200. Hope that helps!