95 GS, Need Steering Cable

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by Fran, May 13, 2013.

1. Fran

Fran New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1996 Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    no
    Hello, I just picked up a 95 Grand Sport, the steering is very stiff, anyone know where I can get a new cable.
    I have a feeling I will need a whole new steering wheel assy and cable (ugh).

Thanks,

Fran

2. JVPRK

JVPRK New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1995 Hydrodyne Grand Sport
    Hi Fran,

It turned out pretty well. I was able to do it myself, but there were some headaches. As far as I know, they do not make a replacement for our boat anymore, so I had to make some modifications. The cable itself is easy, you unhook it from the steering wheel, securely tie a rope (or fish-tape) to the cable and pull it out the back of the boat (remove the rear seat, and the back panel and there is another floor panel that comes out to expose the steer/rudder assembly - it's very accessable. Once you pull the cable out, take it to your favorite marine parts store and they will measure it and order you the new correct legnth. That was the easy part. The hard part is, our "helm" (the part the steering wheel contects to and the part the steering cable connect to) are no longer made. Also ours is a tilt. I opted to go with a fixed helm, it was about a hundred dollars cheaper. The next problem is, our helm is square and every other helm in the world is round! But luckily, the new round facia I had was bigger than our Hydrodyne square hole through the dashboard, to it covered it up. I had to drill some extra holes and I had to make a new support bracket to hold the helm onto the dash (our old square helm used four bolts, one in each corner and the new round helm only uses 3 bolts, also you have to bridge the gap between the opening at the bottom of our old square helm.) That was the hardest part. Pulling the new steering cable through and connecting it to the rudder was a breeze. I did take some pictures as I went along and I can send them to you if you if you'd like. I wish I had taken a picture of the cable and helm part numbers I used, but I'm sorry I didn't.

If you need anything, just let me know.

Good luck!!!

-Jim
    Does anyone know how to post pictures?
    JVPRK, May 13, 2013Report

3. Fran

Fran New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1996 Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    no
    I just finished installing a new helm assy and new cable, wow what a difference. It is now so easy to steer, and the entire setup was only 170$. Very easy install.