1963? Hydrodyne custome deluxe 1700 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by BEFU-Brian, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Marc H

Marc H Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1960 Hydrodyne
    message me if you have any specific questions. just finished our restoration. Not 100% but she's lake ready.

Attached Files:

2. BEFU-Brian

BEFU-Brian Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    86 Formula 272LS, 1963 17' Hydrodyne custom deluxe
  3. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    So I have been making progress. The to do list is now down to one page, and that includes everything. Even stuff not needed to run it, but just finish it. Adjusted shift cables, throttle cables, flipped the throttle cable around as upgrading to the B20 engine has different carb linkage. But everything seems to work now.

Even checked the electrical system for dead shorts. Everything seems to ohm out correctly and looks ready for the battery to be hooked up. It is getting pretty close!

I also converted the points to electronic ignition, so we will see if that works or not. I still have two other distributors and the points I removed if I want to go back. Hull and trailer is registered, so now I have to paint the hull ID numbers up front. Of course, this cold weather in Indiana makes it difficult to finish up the small amount of glass work that I have left to finish up, but I will get there! What a journey it has been.

4. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Oh yeah, I kinda decided to go unconventional on the back floor. With the white pinstriping done on the front and rear decks, it seemed like the boat was dying for a wood tie in. So I went with a varnished red mahogany finish on the floor. I set my saw for about 1/16" deep and cut lines every 2" in a piece of 1/2" oak finish plywood. Four coats of varnish and put in the pinstriping in urethane using a beugler pinstriping tool. Once cramped hand by the time I was done, but I am happy with how it turned out even if it wasn't that way from the factory.

5. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Looks like you are close if not there already. I don't miss the journey that you went through but looks like you succeded.

6. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    With the weather in northern Indiana finally warming up, I took the back plywood floor out as I still had to glass and seal the floor runners. I added some 4" x 4" blocks under where the bench legs will sit to keep them from bending the 1/2" ply floor if someone jumps or plops down on them. Also put some supports along the outer edges. Since the benches will come out with the removal of two bolts each, I figured the floor needs support out there just in case. I can see one of the kids getting into fishing and wanting to remove the benches for more walking room or something. Who knows. Anyways, over the next two days I will finish up the rest of the glass work on the battery tray, the floor runners and the two bench mounts. Then touch up paint and install the 1/2" ply and benches. Looking good!

I wanted to post two pictures: the one is the shock that I installed under the seat. It is a gas charged coil over shock for a motor cycle. Works perfect. Gives the bench a bit of needed support as well as the old shock was destroyed. Ebay as a "13 3/8" 340mm single air shock asorber for honda kawasaki dirtbike" and cost $50.

The other one is I removed the old crumbling step pads. I figure this is the old color as it has been covered since new. It is actually pretty close to the blue that I used, the picture makes it look darker and the new blue brighter. I was happy to see that my color wasn't that far off of the original. Not that I care, as I like the new color.

After this weekend, it should be ready for a battery, set the timing and try to start it. IMG_7723[1].JPG IMG_7725[1].JPG

7. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    So my tilt cylinder / steering arm seemed loose. Earlier I had removed the original one as the shaft was slightly bent. Now with my backup one on there, the drive had some slop side to side in it. I noticed that the pivot ball where it goes through the transom seemed loose. So I broke both of them out, took them apart, cleaned and inspected the parts.

It seems the second one had some stripped screws where the two plastic pieces screw together. Not much room to put nuts on the backside, so I used the plastic pieces from the original cylinder. The original cylinder also had some heavy rust in the bore which caused it to hang up.

But now I have a like new cylinder ready to go. And an old cylinder with a bent shaft, rusty bore and two stripped out threads on the transom mount. Perfect!

For things that are used in a marine environment and are 55 years old, these things are in great shape and everything came apart nicely. After working on 30 year old mercruiser stuff, I was worried. But the old volvo stuff is way ahead of the 80's mercruiser.

Today I should finish up the glass work on the floor supports for the finished wood deck. White paint will be delivered Saturday so I can touch up the paint where needed over the fresh glass. By the end of next week the floor should be in! volvo lift cylinder.jpg

8. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    So I had some thoughts on that little drain for the front cavity. I was worried about water getting in there and getting stuck, but at the same time an opening that would let water in seemed like a bad idea. I also did not want the cutout in the floor that would give me access to it, so I decided to run a remote line. I took a piece of 1/2" ID PE tubing, glued it to a piece of 1/2" brass tubing and epoxied that into the hole in the cavity. I then used a few dabs of epoxy to hold the PE tubing in place along the center stringer and inserted another piece of brass tubing in the end. Now I can cap it, or more likely put a gortex plug on the end to allow it to breath. But I can always open it up and see if I am getting any water into it.

I doubt I will, as when I blew in the tube you could hear the front fiberglass cavity creak and stretch with the pressure. Then when you released it, the air would blow back out of the tube. Seems like the whole cavity is pretty air tight and should resist any water intrusion.

In the pictures, the epoxy is PC-7 and is the dark grey stuff. Think JB weld. The PE tubing in the rear pick is sticking up by the engine exhaust. I will have to find a place to secure it. Probably don't need to even cap it, as it is high enough that water should never get up there. And if we are sinking, the air can't escape so it shouldn't take on water through a 1/2" line that is about 7' long. Probably over thinking this...

In the rear picture you can see the glassed in and painted battery tray mount. That will hold the battery tray, selector switch and an auxiliary fuse block. Also painted the side white where the wood flooring will not cover it and the rear seat mounts are now glassed in (2x2's along the side with bolt holes in the side. Aluminum plates were embedded in the 2x2's and threaded so the benches are easy to install or remove with just two bolts each.

The floor has three stringers for support 12" apart so it feels really solid. The two inner blocks are for under the feet of the bench legs. The outer two and small pad in back are to support the edges of the wood if the benches are removed.

Closer...!!!
    drain front.jpg drain rear.jpg

9. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    i have to post an update, but i might actually get this thing on the water this week.

IT RUNS!!! runs nice, had a water leak that i fixed tonight set the carbs up per the manual so i will be ready to try it again lots to update, but the thing actually runs and shifts now

10. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    It floats. It looks small next to me compared to my 272LS Formula. It uses NO gas compared to the Formula. I think the 4 year old looks happy about being out boating.

IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2297.JPG