fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Questions/Comments' started by Pat Colvin, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Pat Colvin

Pat Colvin Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    it is a Hydrodyne but not sure what year just boug
    hi new member and new to the Hydrodynes. I pick up the ski boat on Monday very excited, my question is about the fuel tanks, there is three built in in this 18', two in the stern one on each side and a bow tank all built in, is this normal for the Hydrodynes, i know at one point in history the bow tank was for water to make a bigger wake just woundering if anyone else has three fuel tanks. thank you

2. dynegreg1

dynegreg1 King Dyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1990 Hydrodyne 20 Open Bow
    Ski Team:
    Skimmer/Aquanut alum
    That is very unusual. The 18' always had the gas tank in the bow. I believe it was a 19 gallon aluminium tank.

3. barefootrocker

barefootrocker Hydrodyner

Ski Team:
    CWWSST
    Originally these had the aluminum tank in the bow. One of the priorities with these boats is keeping the weight toward the bow to keep the nose down. As far as putting water in the tank in the front, these boats were built in an era where wake sports didn't really exist. This was before the days of 'sacking out' your boat to get large wakes for wakeboarding. This tank was strictly for gas. Putting water in it would not be a good idea. Weight it with gas instead! The only assumption i can make is that the extra tanks in the back were for a boat which sat on a lift and the tanks were then available to remove and take to fill them up. My dad is working on a 1977 18 right now. It came with the onboard tank, but one owner in the boat's history preferred the smaller tanks (for whatever reason) and made the conversion as well. Only whoever made this conversion went to trouble of filling the onboard tank with sand. One of the more painful things I've seen in my boating life. I'm assuming the large tank is not hooked to anything and it would run solely off the two in the back, but I could be wrong. You'll need to look at the lines and see what is being pulled from where. My two cents would be to remove the smaller tanks and return it to original shape using the onboard tank. Make sure first though that it has not been filled with water (or worse yet, sand!!)
    Others on this site may have a different opinion to lend, or more reasoning behind the conversion to the removable tanks.
    Good luck.

4. Pat Colvin

Pat Colvin Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    it is a Hydrodyne but not sure what year just boug
    thank you for your input it all makes sense as with 30 gallons of gas plus two batteries in the stern area under the motor well that would add so much weight making it harder to get the bow down, i am thinking i will eliminate the two two tern tanks and replace the one in the bow with a new one i may go to a couple smaller tanks in the stern after i see how the boat handles. thank you for the help, take care