How bad is a rotten floor really?

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by Rockosocko, Jul 21, 2016.

1. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    One of my favorite Seinfeld endings.

Best keep it clean here Errol regarding our beloved power plants because Bryan Administrator) checks in every now and again when he's not landing airplanes. He should be in my neck of the woods with EAA going on in Oshkosh, WI (insane # of planes fly in). BEFU, is that boat ready for water yet?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Just NOW I read your addition Kevin, and had to go back and read through since I didn't know WHAT IN THE WORLD you were referring to..
    Must have been pain meds at the time or a typo. (after decades of manual labor, fingers don't seem to do move the way I'd like.. I use the backspace button more than all of them put together it seems)

Then I wondered if THIS was the reason that nearly all my posting questions haven't been answered.
    To that, I sincerely apologize for that if I offended anyone.

Also, who does Bryan fly for? I worked for Northwest Airlines for 25yrs, retired (and now with FedEx as a Senior Fabricator) and although below wing, I did get to interact with a number of them, and my wife is STILL flying @ 32+yrs for Delta.
    Again, Hope I didn't bother, offend anyone.

(and I've looked all over that hull and don't see ANYTHING identifying of what year, model etc ANYWHERE on this thing..
    I spent about 2hrs digging around and even squeezed way back under the D/S rear to see but NOPE..
    Nowhere up near the L/H steering wheel/dash.

It's REALLY getting me worried on what I'm "in for" getting this boat registered/titled in my name.

Errol

3. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    A bit of a lapse for the response, no boats to work on this winter:). Errol, I hope you realize my post was an attempt to be funny (Vulva instead of Volvo). The adm. Bryan is a flight controller in a tower somewhere in the US of A.

4. dgunn71

dgunn71 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1971 Hydradyne I/O ; 1978 Hydrodyne I/O
    Ski Team:
    Ultra Pond Alum.
    On the same subject I have confirmed that there is water under the floor on my '78; not surprised. The floor was replaced by the previous owner perhaps as much as 10-15 years ago. It is rock solid everywhere. I sampled the conditions thru the seat and post lag holes before drilling two 1 1/2 inch test holes. It is clear why the floor itself is in such good condition; it is 3/4" ply, glassed on both sides. That being the case I now plan to cut in 5 to 6 deck plates; pull out as much of the under floor mush as possible ; dry it over the winter (forced air) and strategically block the floor from underneath. All that being said I should be able to tell if the core has been breached. Apparently it was in good shape after the last replacement. I hope it works as I do not want to trash a perfectly good floor. If it has to come out to save/work the core I would consider leaving it out as my '71 has no floor; and never had one.