My Father's 1961/62 Hydrodyne

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne Runabouts' started by J.R. Watkin, Jul 25, 2016.

1. J.R. Watkin

J.R. Watkin New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961-2 Hydrodyne w/Volvo Penta AQ100

• 100_3277.JPG 100_3285.JPG 100_3307.JPG 100_3306.JPG 100_3299.JPG 100_3303.JPG 100_3298.JPG 100_3285.JPG
    • 100_3280.JPG 100_3283.JPG Here are some more pics of m 1961/62 Hydrodyne I am working on .

2. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Impressive! The windshield does look pretty cool! We vacationed at Raystown 2 summers ago. Beautiful lake! Getting down to it though was really rough on the brakes on the truck. The hills are very steep. Your boat and mine are very similar. Same engine, only I have 3 blade prop. Is yours 16 or 17ft? I noticed there is no back bench seat but you have cushions running the length of the gunwales. Were there seats there too?

3. J.R. Watkin

Boat Model and Year:
    HI, We had a cottage on the old Raystown lake About 100yards out from the 7points beach area in 125 feet of water now.

The original windshield cracked , so instead of trashing it I lowered it below the crack , but over time the crack has reappeared.

There was never a back seat only the benches on the sides. they had folding legs , but were very flimsy and prone to collapse under weight , so I made the plywood 'holds" under the seats to store things. the backrest vinyl had split to the point of no return but all other vinyl is original, the front seat is especially nice

She has original 2 blade prop and is 17'6" bow to transom. The vinyl bumper/rub rail kept coming loose so I spaced out ss screws to keep it tight.
    Thanks for the interest! Always get tons of questions when I launch her.

Recently found a cover that fits perfectly! but you have to have the lowered windshield (Taylor Brand for Comp I/O ski boat (17-18' with 80" beam)

Tell me about your boat!

4. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

JR. I'm getting info up on maybe transplanting drive lines and have read of the Merc 3.0 being too large to fit.
    Is yours a 3.0 or what?
    Your scoop looks different than mine also.
    And would you mind posting pics of the rear seating areas?
    Thanks
    Errol

5. J.R. Watkin

Boat Model and Year:
    100_3302.JPG 100_3302.JPG 100_3294.JPG HI Errol , Mine has the original Volvo BB70 B16 4cyl in it. I just today got my Oil filter cooler back from a local guy that fixed the leak I had. She was pumping oil out via the water cooled jacket on the cooler and out the exhaust. The scoop is original I've done nothing to the glass just polished it and expoxied a few minor cracks around screws . ( I will send you any dimensions of scoop or engine area you need)
    The original seats were on folding legs that had a bad habit of collapsing at the wrong time > never had a back seat across in front of engine . I had plywood bases for the seats to fit on and for storage>> I am going to replace them when I get the chance. I'll post a picture of the bunks here. I also made a removable platform which is not in any of my pictures. I'll post a pic of it if you like. Glad to help
    J.R.

6. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    You can look under "pics of '61 hydrodyne" for a rundown of my re-core project and the total restoration. I live in Butler, PA...not too far from Raystown, only a few hours. Also look up "a warm story for a cold day" where I wrote a story about how and why I restored the boat. It was my father's when he was a kid growing up on Lake Michigan. I restored it and surprised him a few years ago. We took a family trip back to where he grew up and he got to ride in the boat with us up and down the lakeshore.

My boat has the exact same engine. I got it rebuilt and it runs great! We have a lot of family fun with it, although it's a far distance to take the family very often.

7. J.R. Watkin

Boat Model and Year:
    HI Errol,

I just finished rebuilding the rear seat "Holds" where the originals were just folding legs> I made "advantec" sides and fronts and put the original seats on hindges over them I makes a nice place to store stuff and will seat 2>4 People . I took pics of the process and could duplicate the hull patterns if your interested .
    I have the pics on my cell >> could forward them to you .

Let me know
    J.R.

8. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

I'll PM you my contact info.
    I'd also be interested in these 'patterns'
    Problem with me is that the Warden said that I can't bring anything else home 'til I get rid of some other projects.
    And the boat is about 1.5hrs from me, so I can't really mess with it or measure anything just yet.

Thanks Errol