Pics of '61 Hydrodyne

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne Runabouts' started by wentworthto1, Jul 28, 2009.

1. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Well, after a year, I have finally got around to posting some pictures. The boat is a 1961 I/O with the AQ 80 Volvo Penta Engine (the marine version of the B16a engine.) I just bought a house with a garage and am putting the boat inside to work on it. The first item of business is replacing the core. It seems to be made with 3/4 inch balsa. I am ordering the wood from Nida-core as was suggested. I'll probably end up using West System for the layup. I can get it at a retailer here in town. Hope you like the pics, and let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

2. bbeef

bbeef

Boat Model and Year:
    1957 runabout
    Good luck with the restoration!
    I have a similar boat with an outboard transom I am just starting. Mine's a '57 and has no floor. Do you have any photos or any info on how the original floor was installed? Any pics?
    Thanks for your help!!!

3. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Some pics of the recore progress and beginning sanding/removal of gelcoat.

Attached Files:

4. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Progress to date: I have sanded over half the deck down with 40 grit using an orbital sander. I will apply west system low density filler with epoxy resin...fill and fair...and then prime and paint with brightsides roll and tip (black for the deck). The hull's gelcoat is pretty thin, so I am going to ruff it up with 220 grit and then prime and paint with brightsides roll and tip (white). Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Attached Files:

5. footndale

footndale Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    None
    Ski Team:
    Retired
    With the hull, I would wet sand from 600 grit to 1200 grit. Then use rubbing compound and wax with a buffer. I think the results would be better than paint which will scrap off.

Since it is white, you might only need to go to 1000 grit.