Should I buy a Hydrodyne and Which one should I buy?

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by bonk78, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    Scott,

I've owned several 20 footers and several 18's. To me the 18's are like driving a Corvette and the 20's..... like driving a Caprice Classic. Both are great boats, but I'd take a 18 any day of the week.

Bob

2. Dyner68

Dyner68 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    68 Hydrodyne/Ford 302 Interceptor/ Volvo 200 I/O
    Bonk78,

I'm in Minnesota and can relate to your questions. I am a former glastron owner (1976 16 fto boat w/85hp outboard) and found a great hydrodyne upgrade for our family. I paid much more for mine, but wanted to avoid a boat with undisclosed water damage and engine problems. Pics of my 68 are posted on this site.

I have two kids and a wife that that love our Hydrodyne. It's a classic.
    Yes, my wife drives it every time I ask.
    Reliable? Old boats need TLC just like new boats. Look for water damage.
    Motors/drives depend on what you want to do with it.
    Price depends on condition--I see quite a few in this price range. I would not buy a boat without performing a compression test and test-driving it.

Good luck in your search for a "new" family boat.

3. bonk78

bonk78

Boat Model and Year:
    None
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I am hoping to look at a couple this weekend. I might have a good winter project. I realize old boats require work. I have owned many of them and restored them all. I am looking for one that is very functional for the family and for skiing. My previous boat haven't done this well (but have looked really cool!).

I am assuming that any Hydrodyne will be able to pull me out of the water with ease and track nicely while I am carving hard. I can almost dump everyone out of my 67 Glastron Jetflite if I cut hard skiing behind it.

Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes.

Jeremiah