1963? Hydrodyne custome deluxe 1700 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by BEFU-Brian, Feb 10, 2015.

1. BEFU-Brian

BEFU-Brian Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    86 Formula 272LS, 1963 17' Hydrodyne custom deluxe
    Selfie with my wife and the 4 year old (1 of 7 kids). Luckily he is the youngest. And my wife is much shorter than I am, so it is a bit of a trade mark of mine to include her forehead in my selfies. She puts up with me for the boats I think...

Boat did well. Starts right up, a couple of blips on the throttle and it warms up enough to stay running. Outdrive worked great. Had it NOT grab in reverse one time, so need to look at the pawl that locks it down. But it did grab and reverse us off the beach when we launched it. I was in neutral but still drifting forward, so maybe it is not adjusted down enough.

It still vibrates until you hit 1400 rpm. But 1400 rpm is 5-6 mph and doesn't throw much of a wake / wave at that speed. Did about two laps around a 1.5 mile long lake. It was 10 mph or less speed time, so no speed test.

If I pushed the throttles up some, it started to die like lack of fuel. pump the throttle a couple of times and it would rev right up lifting the nose of the little boat up into the air. Maybe too lean? Or float level too low. Will have to pull a plug and look at it. I adjust the needles out more than what the factory recommended for first setting. I think it needs plug wires though, they are old and a bit brittle. Now that it runs, I am up to spending more money on it!

I also added a hour meter and oil pressure gauge to the back under the scoop. Oil pressure is right at 60 psi. The hour meter had these hours on it when I pulled it out of the spare gauges box.
    IMG_8442.JPG IMG_8438.JPG IMG_8436.JPG

2. Rickerd

Rickerd Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962? Hydrodyne
    Your "lack of fuel" problem on initial acceleration could be the accelerator pump in the carburetor?

3. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Just rebuilt both carbs. When I was setting the carbs up this last time, even a little movement of the throttle would result in fuel spraying out of the spray tube. When I first tried starting this motor, the accelerator pump diaphragms were both shot, they were brittle and leaking fuel out around the levers.

I have not run it again yet as busy and we are camping this weekend. Next week sometime I should be able to get it out.

4. Rickerd

Rickerd Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962? Hydrodyne
    You did a fantastic job on that boat!

5. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Thank you Rickerd. I am pleased with it.

IMG_8494[1].JPG Took it out Saturday and ran it some. 2500 rpm and up it runs great. Got it up to 4500 rpm. Good throttle response all the way. Still shakes below 1500 rpm, so I have something wrong with it still.

6. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Rebuilt the fuel pump with new gaskets, check valves and diaphragm. Pumps great now and I would get a seepage leak before. Now pumps up great, holds pressure and no seepage! Maybe both of my carbs were not getting filled the same. Doubt it at idle as it ran great up to full throttle, but the diaphragm was rotting so it couldn't have been working perfect.

Pulled #2 and #3 plugs out, see attached. #2 looked like it was a bit lean, #3 was sooty. So I richened up 1 and 2 by a 1/4 turn and leaned 3 and 4 for by 1/4 turn. Also turned down idle by a 1/4 turn on each idle screw. It would idle up around 1500 rpm once fully warmed up, so it needed to be dropped some.

No water leaks, the frost disc repair worked and held just fine. Still great oil pressure at idle, oil looks nice and clean after running. Water was kind of warm and air was 90's. Boat would idle aroudn 165-170 and when running hard would operate at 180. With a 160 thermostat that seems pretty good.

Also adjusted the reverse grab prawl. I think that is what it is called. When shifting into reverese, the gearing engaged before the reverse lock so the outdrive would kick up and spray water. That is not good! I think I have it now, will have to test it again.

Now it is time to settle in and get the boat set up. Some thin fenders, lines and jacket storage. Couple of tools in a kit would be good. Mount fire extinguisher. Operating stuff. I think this winter I will work on the front rub rail to clean that up, the "hydrodyne" emblem for the starboard side hull, polish windshield side pieces, replace flat center piece and clean steering wheel. Ready to go, plenty of time to work on my Jeep TJ restore.

Been a heck of a project and experience!

Brian

7. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Brian.
    Would you be able to post a pic of just your boat in the water, say in a cove? (just like above, just with no other boats etc in the pic.
    I would LOVE to use it as my wallpaper for my computer! JUST BEAUTIFUL!!
    Hope mine turns out half as nice.

E

p.s. i'm going to go through your thread and see what you did to get the side trim off.

8. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    I will have to try to get that pic. I think we are taking it out tonight, but not sure what lake we will be going to. Hopefully I get it out to visit that same lake again this fall. That picture with colorful leaves behind it would be nice. Thank you for the complement.

I did not remove the side trim. When I redid the transom wood, the screws had mostly corroded away and the heads were fully set into the aluminum channel. So on the transom I through drilled the trim and used small stainless pan head screws to mount it. Trim is sealed and secured with 3M PL5200 adhesive. Sides of boat were sanded, patched, primed and painted with the trim on the boat.

9. waldo

waldo Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962 Hydrodyne Delux 1700 / 1965 Hydrodyne 1700

10. waldo

waldo Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962 Hydrodyne Delux 1700 / 1965 Hydrodyne 1700
    Brian,
    Many thanks for keeping us updated on your project. Your accounts and pictures were of tremendous help to me while restoring my 62 Hydrodyne. I have started a second restoration on a 65 Hydrodyne and plan to finish it in the same color as yours. Thank you for the inspiration!

Wally Cooper