Trailer

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by skischooler, Jun 22, 2011.

1. skischooler

skischooler Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne 18, 1978. Evinrude 200XP, 1992
    Is this an original Hydrodyne 18 trailer?

Thanks
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Hi Rob:

Mine came in s similar configuration with hydrodyne fiberglass fenders but no full fiberglass shroud. ther may be a serial # half way down on the inside rail of the drivers side that may shed some light but i'd say yes; based on the cross member structure.

Kevin-

3. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    Cograts Rob on your recent E Bay purchase. Looks like a nice boat for that money.

I don't think that is an original Hydrodyne trailer. They had a totally enclosed fiberglass
    belly pan and fenders built into it. This trailer you have looks like something from an
    inboard ski boat. It defineately can be refurbished and used. It has the dropped frame
    to clear the turn fin, and the correct type of bunks to support the hull in storage.

Bob

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    After a second look, I agree that this is not an HD trailer. The receiving area for the bow is very diffrent and the fenders are hollow on the inside. Picture of my fender is attached with the raised hydrodyne logo gelled and glassed in the rest of the trailer was open so I added some treated 3/4 ply for steps. Has a serial # that corresponds to the original invoice from Hydrodyne. Apparently not all were fully fiberglass shrouded bat-wing trailers. I'll take a glass batwing shrowd if anyone sees one. That twin rig looks like a lot of work bot should be a blast when done.

Cheers-

Kevin

Attached Files:

5. skischooler

skischooler Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne 18, 1978. Evinrude 200XP, 1992
    Dear Kevin and Bob,
    Thank you for your replies, A little disappointed that it's not original. But I'm going too keep the trailer and fixer up. I just bought the boat for the trailer and the boat has been sold with my old trailer. My Dyne needs a redo and a re-power this winter so the twin would have had to sit for a couple of years.

Kevin, Thanks for posting a pic of your trailer it looks awesome. be careful, sometime when you're at the lake and you come back to the launch there might be an impostor behind your truck

Rob

6. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Wow Rob!

Never thought of a HD Trailer in danger. I also never gave it much thought but the HD trailers from the period were specially-built for the hulls so the thief would likely have a HD (or a Lumi fishing boat with a really, really bad trailer).

The trailer just got reinforced with gussets across some weak spots and painted last and we were looking to go north to Hayward area next week (missed last years 4th because of the aforementioned trailer issues). We headed to the ramp to change off a loaner traler on Wesnesday evening and I discovered my lower shift cable (i/o owners know what I mean) was either kinked or severed (no forward or revearse).

I called Aftermarket Marine Link http://www.rodnreel.com/dmarine/ and they said that they were sold out and their supplier (teleflex) would be providing them in 6 to 8 weeks. S#!t, the summer is over here in WI by then. Called Skipper Buds and they had three on the shelf (guess I'm turning wrenches this weekend). I replaced the upper and lower bellows plus the lower shifter cable in 2001 so I know the drill. Should be good for another 10 years.

Take care,

Kevin