True Cost of Restoration

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by PJP, May 25, 2010.

1. PJP

PJP

I get calls about all kinds of parts and pieces from people needing them. I got a call the other day for a complete interior for a 1988 Open Bow Hydrodyne. It made me think that it would be interesting to actually figure out the cost of all the parts and pieces needed to redo a boat. Labor can vary wildly of course.

On another thread we learned that it cost $5,800 to redo the interior of a 17.6 XB from raccoon damage. A 17.6 XB does not have an open bow so obviously the cost would be higher for an open bow boat. I told the caller between $3K and $6K depending upon what was there to work with and his "taste". Making good patterns for side panels and other non standard pieces can be time consuming. Multiple colors also add to the cost and time required. Another factor is the time of year. We will usually discount on the labor during the off season. Material costs seem to continue to raise every year though.

If this thread draws some interest I'll figure out the dealer list price for the parts and pieces. I can also tell you individual costs for many common fiberglass parts and pieces that we have made for customers do restorations or whatever you want to call it?

Any interest out there?

Attached Files:

2. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
    Well this would be a good thread.

I will start by saying that I have around $10,000 including the price I paid. Not to bad but I will have to do the transom in the near future. I have not decided if I am going to tackle it myself or have it done. It may sound high but the way I figure I have had the boat for 6 years and that works out to be around $138.00 per month which is much lower then if I had purchased a new boat at a larger expense and financed it.

But there are boats out there that are probably to far gone, these are the boats that will work well in this thread since someone might think they are getting into a good deal only to find out that they have spent more then a hull in better condition but cost more. While I advocate restoring as many dynes as possible I don't think that someone should restore to the point where it is pretty much a brand new boat that is not cost effective and may eventually make one regret ever starting a project and then never wanting to do it again.

From someone that loves all things old (I have restored MGBs, Hydrodyne's, antique fans, radios as well as furniture) "Buy the best you can afford but have a plan and know the costs" I would hate for someone get to the point of despising restoring things and never try it again.

Daniel

3. PJP

PJP

Anyone interested in this topic? Have any insight to share? Needs? Suggestions?