21 ft Flat Top

Discussion in 'Engine Questions' started by kruegkat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kruegkat

kruegkat

Boat Model and Year:
    Flat Top 1971
    I just recently acquired a 1971 Hydrodyne Flat Top 21 ft. The boat came with a 1968 Evinrude 40hp Big Twin. The boat came with all the seating and bimini top, along with a trailer.

I have two questions.

1. How big an outboard should I use on this boat (primarily for fishing and pulling the occassional tube)?

2. Should the trailer be a single or double axel? The boat came with a big single axle.

Thanks for your help.

2. Dyna-Kid

Dyna-Kid Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    74 18 Hydrodyne 150 / 06 17.6 Dyna-Ski 150 Merc FS
    Ski Team:
    Club de Skinautique
    Hi Kruegkat,

I love the look of the flat tops. I never had a ride in one, but they look like a hella-of-a-lot fun!

Anyways, answering your question may require some more information. For example, you say you're looking for a motor for fishing? Well, I don't know much about fishing, but if you're looking to get to a fishing hole fast, then something with more HP will help. But if you're talking about trolling, then some people have a small HP "kicker" motor mounted to the side of their main motor on the back of their boats. Of course, many fishing boats have an electric motor mounted on the bow for slow positioning.

However, I think you're inquiring about an all purpose motor to replace the motor that you currently have. In that case, you'll probably want something that is both cost effective and still productive. Assuming that you're not trying to pull 3 adults on one tube behind a boat load of guests, I think a 2 stroke / 4 cylinder outboard towards the upper range of 115 HP should work for you. If top end speed is not that important, go with a lower pitch prop that will help with faster starts and a slower idle speed.

Hope this helps. Post PICS if you can.

Kevin