Houseboat project.

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by uglywrench, Mar 26, 2010.

1. uglywrench

uglywrench New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1969 Riviera
    So here it is. I own a Hydrodyne Riviera. I love it! It is the best handling house ever. I can't wait to finish all my resoration / renovation and have some great adventures. Now here's my question. I've been looking for information on it. Owners manual, advertisements, general info, history, etc. etc. and after much digging and finding very little info I thought a give you all a shot. I know that most of you are not interested in the houseboats but any and everything you can tell/give/sell me would be greatly appreciated. I promise as soon as i get a photo of my houseboat pulling a skiier. I'll post it! ;)
    Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. Dyner68

Dyner68 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    68 Hydrodyne/Ford 302 Interceptor/ Volvo 200 I/O
    I think these boats are great and would like to see one someday. They should handle well, built on a tournament ski boat hull.

You'll have good luck on this site by searching for the words "flat top" instead of houseboat. There's lots of great historical information and I recall seeing a very nice restoration of one of these as well. I'm sure you'll hook up with other owners if you choose to.

Enjoy it.

3. uglywrench

Boat Model and Year:
    1969 Riviera
    Thanks Dyner. :D
    If we ever make as far north as Mpls on the Mississippi I'll let you know. So far I've found almost nothing out about this boat. It wasn't until this site did I discover the "Flat top" connection. I would really like to find more info about the history and different options for the houseboats. It seems to me that there were different sizes. the 20' and the 24' and that they both were available as IO or outboards per iboats.com http://www.iboats.com/Hydrodyne_Boats__ ... 2b178379r2.
    However I have also stumbled across something somewhere about a 43' "Dyne houseboat. http://www.iboats.com/Hydrodyne_Boats__ ... 64b44042r0
    What I'm also looking for is real experience with these houseboats, or someone who's done a restoration of one, or a first hand account of someone who bought one new from a dealer.
    Ideally I would love to keep the boat as original as possible while modernizing It's components. Also I have to admit that having a houseboat that's a sleeper could be really treat. Slapping a big, new, nice, quiet Merc on the back could make all the difference.
    Ideas anyone? :D
    Matt

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      308.5 KB
      Views:
  4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    I've got a sales brochure (flat sheet) for this boat somewhere in my files. If I can find it, I'll forward to Daniel for posting on the site and let you know as well. Interesting departure from the 18-foot tournament skier.

Take care and enjoy,

Kevin-

5. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    BTW, I didn,t see a helm in your picture and am curious as to where does one steer this boat?

Kevin-

6. ghind

ghind Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    2007 Matrix Sorrento Outboard/225HO E-TEC
    how fast does it go? How fast could it go (with enough horsepower)?

most importantly, how many skiers will it pull?

7. uglywrench

Boat Model and Year:
    1969 Riviera
    Thanks Kevin! I can't wait to see the brochure. :D
    Excellent questions Ghind. I wonder how fast it could go. The small bit of info I've stumbled across seemed to suggest that someone could put up to a 135 horsepower outboard on it. Right now it has an old 70 horse Evinrude. Replacement outboard suggestions anyone?

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      306.1 KB
      Views:
  8. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    I have attached a jpg of the sales brochure that I had filed away. should give you some furhter insight. It has similar lines to the 18' tournament skier but definitely a diffrent mold and lay-up.

Take care,

Kevin-

Attached Files:

9. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
    Very Cool,

I will upload the ad to the ad section.

Daniel

10. uglywrench

Boat Model and Year:
    1969 Riviera
    Fantastic! Thanks Kevin. Now (aside from the title) that is the first piece of literature I have on it.
    Thank you very much!

Thats basically my boat. Obvious differences; mine has a 2 piece molded glass roof. I see its also missing the spray shield on the front that rests at the base of hand railing. I had guessed that the shield was an afterthought.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      288 KB
      Views: