off season workout

Discussion in 'The Beach' started by plantman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. plantman

plantman Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    hydrodyne 64or66
    I am getting back into skiing after many years off (and many pounds on).I have been going to the gym at least 3-4 days each week and I am very happy with my results so far.I was wondering what if any workout program people use to be fit for skiing. I should say that when I did ski it was mostly slalom. thanks for any advice. Rock On

2. DanielC

DanielC Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1987 Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    PDX Water Spectacula
    I am not a personal trainer, nor have I ever played one on TV. This is just based on my own experiance, your results probably will differ.
    Basic rule rule number one. The best workout to get ready for waterskiing, is,....wait for it,,,,,,waterskiing.
    Rule number two. Anything done in a gym is a mere shadow of the real thing, possible exception, lifting weights. A 20 minute real bike ride, where you actually have to balance the thing is probably better than two hours in a gym on a staitionary bike. 10 minutes running or even slowly jogging around a track at the local college or school is better than an hour on a treadmill in a gym.
    The first time you go skiing, go on doubles. If your weight has changed since the last time you skied, try to get some big wide easy to get up on pyramid boards. Go really easy at first, do not pull or strain anything. quit early, when you get in better shape you can ski longer then.

3. msegal

msegal

Boat Model and Year:
    1979 Hydrodyne 18 w/ 1977 140hp Johnson Engine
    And don't forget. You won't be able to shave the day after you ski. My arms always hurt so much I can't get the razor to my face. Rolling Eyes

msegal

4. Denise

Denise

Boat Model and Year:
    1963 Elgin (non-dyne, duh)
    msegal - boy you hit a nerve with the arms thing!

I am not the skiier that a lot of you all are..... I just get up, ride around and let go when I get tired. Growing up never had a boat yet learn to ski when I was about 6 or 7. After that it was like once every 5 years I would get a tow, but must say I always got up on the first try no matter how many years had passed.

But the arm thing I can relate to is when we bought our boat and learned to kneeboard! Talk about a beating! In the morning trying to get up off the ground from my sleeping bag basically I couldn't use my arms.....LOL! I started lifting weights prior to the summer and would mimic the pull on my arms backwards with hand weights for doing 360's....it really helped!

I haven't ski'd in a couple of years now as I gave the ski I had back to the original owner when she got a boat of her own. It was an old wooden connelly. And now I have gained 20 lbs and wonder if my tail would even come out of the water! Started back to the gym this week and walking again. We will see how long that lasts this time.

5. plantman

plantman Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    hydrodyne 64or66
    My father used to ski on a woody o'brian. It is still in our garage, but it has some cracks on the bottom side. I think that wood slaloms are geat looking! we also had the wood cypress garden doubles which are long gone! He used to ski in all those crazy ski shows like the rest of you crazy people Laughing. He even won a jump trophy his 1st time out!