Removal of aluminum trim.

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by Scott Holland, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Scott Holland

Scott Holland New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1964 17' Hydrodyne Runabout
    Ski Team:
    NA
    My son & I are in the early stages of restoration on our 1964 17' Runabout, but would like to remove the aluminum trim before turning it over to the paint/fiberglass guy and can't figure out how to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    The aluminum trim is held on by tiny screws. You will have to remove the gunnels to get to them. I kept mine on and worked around them, but when I get enough time, I will remove them and try to get a much better result than I already have.

3. Scott Holland

Scott Holland New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1964 17' Hydrodyne Runabout
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Thanks for the reply, but we have some rust stains coming from underneath the trim in places so it has to come off. The trim is slotted so the screw head holds it in place, but it doesn't seem to have a back side nut so I was wondering how it was originally assembled. Were the screws installed and then the trim slid into place? Even if it did have a back side nut with no way to reach the head taking it off would be impossible.

Was thinking about a thin blade, but don't want to damage the glass or the trim. Thoughts???