Solenoid, Ford 351 pro boss

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by feded, Jul 15, 2006.

1. feded

feded

I am having a problem with the solenoid on a '96 ford 351 pcm pro boss. The solenoid itself tests good. Battery fully charged, I can start the engine with a screwdriver between the 2 big terminals. I am getting 12 v at the "S" terminal when the ignition is turned on. At the "I" terminal there are 2 wires that I assume go to switches that are needed to complete the circuit. One might be to the transmission and the other to the throttle position? Not sure... I think this is the reason the solenoid is not clicking (activating). Any ideas here?
    Thanks, ej

2. DanielC

DanielC Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1987 Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    PDX Water Spectacula
    I hope you got this fixed by now. I have a PCM GT-40 motor in my 1997 Nautique. What looks like a starter solenoid, mounted on the back of the motor, is not. It is used as a heavy duty relay. The starter on my engine has a solenoid directly on top of the starter. Do not wire the solenoid on the back of the motor like you would wire the remote solenoid (relay) on your Ford car. If you have to replace the solenoid on the back of the motor, take very careful notes on where each wire goes. before you take anything apart. I had to deal with a boat that had this part replaced by a "very experianced" mechanic, that did it wrong. Lucky I had another boat with a GT-40 at the lake that let me look at his motor so I could get the wiring right