1973 18 Restoration

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by stoneboro73, May 3, 2010.

1. stoneboro73

stoneboro73

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Tournament Skier
    I am currently restoring my 73 in the same manner that mark bano had restored his boat. I bought the boat on craigslist about 2 hours from my hometown just to find out it was one of the many hydrodynes on our lake back in the 70's. We currenlty still have about 8 dynes running on our lake. Anyways back to the restoration. I have my boat separated at the deck seam now and am replacing the transom and all of the wood. My concern is the foot well in the back is cracked at fillet on the bottom by the plug. I am debating on making a mold of it and making a new one, or trying to repair the small cracks. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I will get my resto photos posted soon.

2. 1964dyne

1964dyne

Boat Model and Year:
    1964 Tournement Skier
    Can't wait to see the pics. Making a mold sounds pretty involved. Are the cracks all the way through the layers of fibreglass? Can you grind down the old paint, gel-coat, and glass then overly fresh fibreglass and gel coat? Are you going to gel-coat the whole boat?

Chad