dyna ski 17.6 buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Dyna-Ski® Boats' started by Vuk, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Vuk

Vuk

Boat Model and Year:
    Elan GT-402 1980 merc 500
    Hallo, does a dyna ski use wood when build a boat or is all fiberglass?
    Does anyone have 17.6 open bow dyna ski and how you satisfaction, good or bad slalom wake (recreational skiing) maybe have some videos of boat. What engine you have and what is fuel consumption? does dyna ski a good choise?

I am search on the net and cannot find any information and any dyna ski 17.6 for sale. Who buy these boats? Not interesting for pulling meny skier I be use for fun and good slalom skiing.

2. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
  3. Dyna-Kid

Dyna-Kid Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    74 18 Hydrodyne 150 / 06 17.6 Dyna-Ski 150 Merc FS
    Ski Team:
    Club de Skinautique
    If you're concerned about the wake off a 17.6 Dyna-Ski, take a good look at the second video listed above. Don't look at the kite, look at the wake behind the boat. I think you'll notice that the wake is very flat at about 34 mph and excllent for slalom skiers and footers.

If you're looking to buy a boat outside of North America, please remember that you'll probably want to buy an outboard from a manufacturer that you can have serviced locally (you'll have to check that the engine warranty is transferable if you buy new and import the motor). 2-stroke outboards seem to be the prefered engine for water skiing and most newer model fuel injected outboards are pretty good on fuel consumption (at least compared to the older models).

Open bow and closed bow Hydrodyne's and Dyna-Ski's are excellent family ski boats. They are a very good choice for waterskiing, but please know that theses boats are not an open water / ocean type of boat.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

4. PJP

PJP

Dyna-Ski has sold boats all over the world. The 20' Open Bow has been the most popular out of the US seller.

Last year the 17.6 Open Bow was the biggest seller in the US for Dyna-Ski Boats. I suspect that the price of gasoline effected sales some as the 130 four cylinder was a popular engine as well as the 150 six cylinder. 4 cylinders use less fuel and a 115 will pull two footers. See the picture. Boat speed was 39 mph on the GPS with maximum trim for speed.

The boats with a four cylinder motor have a smaller wake that the six cylinder motor does. Slalom wake is nice and small for kids and women skiers. Boat responds to weighting for wake boarding and is designed with Barefoot International products in mind.

One of the nice things is you can buy your motor locally and have it rigged by your local dealer or your dealer can have the motor dropped shipped to the factory to be installed at the factory. Weather permitting we run all the boats in the water before we ship them. Outboards are also popular in salt water as care is easy and minimal compared to an inboard or I/O.

Last year we shipped a 20' Open Bow with a 250 E-Tec to Moscow, Russia.

Attached Files:

5. Corn Nut

Corn Nut

Boat Model and Year:
    2009 17.6 Open Bow with Evinrude Etec 130
    I own a 17.6 open bow with a 4 cylinder Etec 130 and I'll vouch for the fact that this is the best outboard ski boat made. The wake is excellent for slalom skiing, and one of our ski group members who is a trick skier says the wake is better for trick than even a tournament approved tow boat. It has plenty of power to pull even the heaviest slalom skiers from deep water and plenty of acceleration for shore starts.

Each Dyna Ski is hand built, one at a time, so quality is second to none. This also allows you to choose from a number of options so you can have your boat built with the equipment you want.

Bottom line is, this is a no-brainer to me. If you're looking for an outboard ski boat, buy the Dyna Ski.

6. PJP

PJP

To answer one of the original questions of this thread. Dyna-Ski Boats can be special ordered with no wood. It does add to the cost of the boat. I do not typically stock any composite boats.

I'm not real big on composite Dyna-Ski boats as my 1987 Hydrodyne XB (17.6 Closed Bow) has wood stringers, floor and transom. It has never needed any work to the wood stringers, floor or transom. It sits covered with a mooring cover on the boat lift during the ski season and in my garage the rest of the year in Wisconsin. It has around 600 hours on the hull. I usually have a new Dyna-Ski boat or two on lifts also during the summer so my original boat does not get many hours the past several years.

I replaced the interior and decals a couple of years ago. That my friends was expensive as we duplicated everything including the Hydrodyne seat embroidery on the buckets. I think it looks nice. The back seat base which was wood needed replacing and I replaced it with the new Dyna-Ski rear seat which has a fiberglass base.

Over the years I up graded motors 5 times as the motor technology has improved. I have a 150 E-Tec. I started with a 150 Evinrude and all the motors have been from the same manufacturer. I added Teleflex Hydraulic Steering, Livorsi GPS Speedometer and the new style Evinrude recessed controls. All of these things made it a better boat in my opinion.

My next upgrade is going to be Perfect Pass. If all goes well it this will be an option on some models of Dyna-Ski Boats. With a little luck I'll be using the Perfect Pass next summer and it will be available starting in early 2011. I will be using it a lot this coming summer once the Perfect Pass is on it as I need to test it a lot and determine that it will be a "no hassle" option for Dyna-Ski owners. I've gotten information from Greg and Perfect Pass about how to do this. I'll try and keep you all informed of the progress when it starts.

Attached Files:

7. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
    Hey, do you have a picture of that boat on the water? I think it would make a great calendar addition.

Daniel

8. PJP

PJP

I don't think so but I can take one this summer.