Need help with painting... I'm lost.

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by lastRebel, Jan 21, 2009.

1. lastRebel

lastRebel

Boat Model and Year:
    1966 Hydrodyne 110hp - 16ft. runabout
    I'm new to the forum, and to marine paints. My friend and I are planning on painting both of our boats in his garage this winter. We'll ventilate the area and line the entire room with plastic sheeting to prevent drifting overspray and the introduction of contaminants. We'll also keep the temperature regulated in the space, and with conditioned air, hopefully keep the humidity on a short leash. We also understand the use of PPEs such as respirators and paint suits.

Now for the problem... I don't understand the differences in all the paints out there, and when they're used. It's not quite the same as painting a car. For example: bottom paint usually has a biocide in it to reduce the amount of nasties that grow on the hull while it's in the water... but the boats I'm working on won't be in the water most of the time. They'll be trailered to the lake when used, exclusively in fresh water, and probably wouldn't stay in the water for more than a weekend at a time (maybe for a week if I'm on vacation or something). Why wouldn't a so called "topside" paint be suitable for this type of usage? I've read about Imron, and it seems like it's the type of overall paint I'm looking for, but it also seems like it's pretty volatile and finicky. I'd like to limit the application to roll and pick if possible. I wish I could say that price was no object, but unfortunately, it is. I know there's no such thing as a cheap marine paint, but $70 a quart 8O is a bit high if you ask me. I mean, how much of a 16 ft. 'Dyne runabout would a quart cover? Any information at all would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. GaDyne

GaDyne Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1979 I/O and 1985 I/O
    Look at Interlux Perfection, It can be used for roll and tip with great results. It is a two part paint but isn't that hard to work with. There are videos on Youtube on how to use it if you want to take a look, just search for Interlux Perfection and you'll see several videos of the process. There is a I/O 18 on here that was painted with this paint but can't remember which one it was. I'll try and find it. I used Imron on my first Dyne restore and I didn't like working with it.

3. GaDyne

Boat Model and Year:
    1979 I/O and 1985 I/O
  4. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    What is "roll and pick" or "roll and tip" ?
    Never heard about that method of painting a boat.

Bob

5. lastRebel

lastRebel

Boat Model and Year:
    1966 Hydrodyne 110hp - 16ft. runabout
    Cool, thanks for the reply.

Bob: The roll and pick method can be used to apply certain paints by first rolling the paint on with a roller, and immediately following a roller, run a foam brush over it to smooth it.

6. GaDyne

Boat Model and Year:
    1979 I/O and 1985 I/O